If an HOA forcloses do they have to pay off the mortgage company?

UPDATED: Feb 16, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 16, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If an HOA forcloses do they have to pay off the mortgage company?

I own a home in FL that I do not live in. I live in TX. I have struggled to pay the mortgage but I am current. My neighbor in Florida called and said that someone was at my house changing the locks that they stated that the HOA now owns the property. First, I was never notified of foreclosure and 2nd I called my mortgage company and they were not notified either. At this point considering the housing crisis in Florida I don’t care if the HOA takes the property. Let them attempt to make a profit, they won’t.

Asked on February 16, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Generally speaking, the mortgage company has a priority lien on the home and if they were not notified in the "foreclosure" by the home Owners Association - and you were not either - then there is a huge problem here.  I know that you would like to just think that it is over with and you should just let the cards fall where they may but I caution you against that.  If the HOA sells the home - though I really don't see how they can do this all legally without notifying all the players - and they do not pay off the underlying mortgage then you are up a creek without a paddle.  Get an attorney in Florida as soon as you can to do all the leg work for you on this and to take the necessary steps here.  And tell the mortgage company as well.  They will not stand for this and maybe their attorneys will start the necessary legal suit to correct it and save you some money on fees. Your attorney can just join in on the fun.  Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption