If an ex-girlfriend owes me money on a credit card and she promised to pay but hasn’t, what can I do?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If an ex-girlfriend owes me money on a credit card and she promised to pay but hasn’t, what can I do?

There is text that she was going to pay.

Asked on September 11, 2015 under Bankruptcy Law, Alabama


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

If there had been an agreement that she could use your card but would have to pay for her charges, then you can sue her for breach of contract not honoring the agreement, promissory estoppel making a promise to you to get you to let her use your card, then not carrying through on the promise--there are a few more details to this cause of action, but that is the crux, and/or unjust enrichment--being unfairly "enriched" by getting to use your card and charge against it without paying for it. As long as you can convince a court that using your card was not a "gift" to her but rather that there was an agreement for her to pay, then you would seem to have a reasonable or even good chance to prevail. If the amount in dispute is equal to or less than the limit for your small claims court, suing in small claims, acting as your own attorney "pro se" to save on legal costs is a good alternative.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption