If an estate is relieved from administration, do I lose my rights as an heir to any proceeds from the estate?

UPDATED: Sep 10, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 10, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If an estate is relieved from administration, do I lose my rights as an heir to any proceeds from the estate?

Brother died 9 months ago, no wife, kids or Will. The only other kin is younger brother and me. Brother filed an application for estate to be relieved from administration. If I do not show up at the court hearing, do I remove myself as an heir and any right to possible proceeds from estate?

Asked on September 10, 2011 under Estate Planning, Ohio


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  While the generalities of estate administration are the same from state to state, each state's laws differ with regard to specifics of how they wish to handle certain issues like small estates.  Ohio is not different in that respect.  What I understand a Summary Release from Administration to be is a document that may be filed if the value of the probate assets may not exceed $5,000.00 for deaths on or after October 12, 2006 and the applicant paid or is responsible for the decedent's funeral bill.  So if your brother filed this document it may mean that the estate is very small and there would be no proceeds over and above the funeral bill.  I would show up in court if you could to see what is going on.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption