If an employee relocates from WA to CA, when is the employer (headquartered in AZ) required to start withholding for CA?

UPDATED: Jun 23, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 23, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If an employee relocates from WA to CA, when is the employer (headquartered in AZ) required to start withholding for CA?

I relocated from WA to CA 4th Qtr 2008. My employer continued to withhold for WA and did not report my earnings as being in CA until 1st Qtr 2009. Was my employer, who was headquartered in AZ and later moved to CA, required to report my earnings in CA at the time of my move, or was it ok for them to wait until the following year?

Asked on June 23, 2009 under Employment Labor Law, California


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I don't have enough information.  It depends on what you do, how you work (telecommute, physical location), or whether California is is merely a transitory location. Usually, you must be reported from the day you actually begin work in California to the day you end.  It is based on physical dates. 

Check with the California Franchise Tax Board.  Further, try www.attorneypages.com.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption