If an apartment community charged me rent twice, am I entitled to the bank overdraft fees they caused?

UPDATED: Jan 31, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If an apartment community charged me rent twice, am I entitled to the bank overdraft fees they caused?

They claim that I did not remove the original automatic payment entry when I was trying to replace it on-line with a new payment entry of a different value. I have a screen shot that shows six days prior to the money being withdrawn that there is only one payment entry under “Scheduled payments which have been authorized.” They refunded me the $50 that they had charged me but refuse to reimburse me for the $40 the bank also charged me. Is it unreasonable to expect full compensation for their/their software’s error?

Asked on January 31, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Maryland


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If the apartment complex charged you twice for rent for the same month where you should have only been charged once, resulting in overdraft fees assessed to you, the apartment complex under the law is responsible for all damages that you suffered as a direct result of its error.

The damages would be the $40.00 charged you by your bank for the overdraft charges. I suggest that you write the apartment complex requesting the $40.00 its error cost you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption