If a married woman with a minor child dies, does the woman’s real property then become property of her husband?

UPDATED: Aug 2, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 2, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a married woman with a minor child dies, does the woman’s real property then become property of her husband?

Is the husband then the executor of the woman’s estate, is he automatically the legal guardian of the child? I am the father of the woman and we had a piece of property in AR., where I reside, that was in the process of being transferred to a Homestead Trust, however, she passed away while I had the property vested in her in deed and title. Agreements were signed by all parties and there is no contention on any issue, I just need to know what the inheritance laws are in MS. in order to proceed in AR. Does her husband have the authority to act as her executor and guardian of the minor child?

Asked on August 2, 2011 Mississippi


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  A father and mother are always the natural guardian of their children but I am not sure here that the child you speak of is the child of the husband of the married woman.  If the child is not and the husband has not adopted the child then no, he is not the guardian.  You are the Father of the Mother, correct?  I am assuming here that she dies without a Will, correct?  Then the husband has to be appointed as the personal representative of her estate to act with regard to her assets that were not jointly held.  Assets jointly held would pass to the husband automatically upon her death.  As for the trust, please seek consultation from an    attorney in your area on the matter and where the matter now stands.  If she had executed all the document prior to her death then you could conceivably force the estate to follow through with them.  Good luck.   

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption