If a Will has been made part of a trust, can the testator change it?

UPDATED: May 25, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 25, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a Will has been made part of a trust, can the testator change it?

In this case, the testator wrote his Will and, unknown to him, it was later incorporated by his adult children in a Trust. This prevents him from changing any part of his Will. This was done without his knowledge to block his new wife from inheriting any part of the estate at his death.

Asked on May 25, 2011 under Estate Planning, Georgia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The Testator is going to have to go and seek legal help with all of this.  Is the Trust revocable or irrevocable?  There are, by the way, ways to circumvent an "irrevocable trust"  but if and how depends on state law.  In some states you can re-transfer the property to a new Trust created by the testator and that would in essence make the other trust null and void.  IF there is not property to fund a trust then, well, what is the point?  A Will you can revoke and change at any tie as long as you have testamentary capacity.  But the hows of this matter need to be addressed and you can only do that by reading the documents involved.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption