If a subpoena was mailed in the State of Ohio, am I obligated to go?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a subpoena was mailed in the State of Ohio, am I obligated to go?

The case is a DV case and I have already told the prosecutor that I would not
testify against my husband. She sent a subpoena out and they left it in my
mailbox. He went to court and they asked for a continuance. Now the subpoena came
in the mail,but not certified. I gave them an affidavit of non-prosecution

Asked on February 3, 2018 under Criminal Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you must go to court. You can assert a right to not testify against your husband if you choose (called "spousal competency" in your state)--that is, you may legally refuse to testify. But you must do this in court, in response to the prosecutor's questions: you can't refuse to show up. You can and should warn them in advance that you don't want to testify, as you have, but if they insist bringing you to court, you must go and in court, on the stand, state that you refuse to testify against your spouse.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption