If a property was given to me and then I was forced to sign it back, do I get it back after person dies?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a property was given to me and then I was forced to sign it back, do I get it back after person dies?

My grandfather gave me his home when he entered the nursing home because he went on Medicaid. I had to sign it back to him and he has now been in the nursing home for close to 3 years; my mother is living in the property. I was wondering if I would get it back if he were to pass away since I was the last person it was given to?

Asked on February 5, 2019 under Estate Planning, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

No, being the last living person it was given to gives you NO rights to the property. If there is a will, it goes to whomever your grandfather willed it to. If there is no will, it goes to your mother (and any siblings of hers) as his child, not to you as his grandchild.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption