If a person violates his/her restraining order but did not get reported, is the restraining order void?

UPDATED: Dec 19, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 19, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a person violates his/her restraining order but did not get reported, is the restraining order void?

I have a restraining order against my husband and the judge modified the order to allow text messaging as of a way to contact his children and only about his children. He has called and text me non-stop and none of the calls or text messages have anything to to with the kids. I have responded to his text messages but never answered his calls. I have reported him as of last Friday and now I’m worried that the restraining order will be void due to my responding.

Asked on December 19, 2011 under Criminal Law, Oregon


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The restraining order that you have written about would not be void due to the facts that you have written about that is in effect against your husband where you responded to his texts.

Possibly he could be deemed in violation of it due to his contact directly to you. If you are concerned that there may be some issues concerning the possible violation of the restraining order that you have written about, I suggest that you consult a family law attorney. Most family law attorneys have experience with restraining orders.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption