If a person is transferring to another position within a company, can the current manager force you to stay for2 weeks before being transferred?

UPDATED: Dec 31, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 31, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a person is transferring to another position within a company, can the current manager force you to stay for2 weeks before being transferred?

My husband has been harassed and discriminated against by his current manager for almost a year now. He has been trying to find another job, as we can’t afford for him to quit. He finally found a transfer that was suitable. He has been extremely stressed because of this woman and is having health problems related to stress. He gave her a 2 day notice and she didn’t speak to him at all but instead called everyone in HR to force him to stay for 2 weeks. The whole dept decided he has to stay; this can’t be legal can it? It is a hostile work environment. She lives to make him miserable.

Asked on December 31, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Arizona


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If there has been an internal decision that your husband must stay an additional two weeks more than what he anticipated before he moves on, it seems from what you wrote that the current manager can make him stay for this duration.

However, he should document the harassment that he is receiving with the human resources department of his employer in a face to face meeting and followed up by a written letter to that effect.

He might even consider having a meeting with a labor attorney or a representative with the local labor department over the problems he is having with his supervisor to document the situation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption