If a pay for car that someone put in their name for me and they take it back, canI get my money refunded?

UPDATED: Feb 16, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a pay for car that someone put in their name for me and they take it back, canI get my money refunded?

I took over a car payment for my uncle; in return he was to sign over the truck when it was paid off. I didn’t know that his ex-girlfriend’s name is on the title and she is now trying to take the vehicle back since it is almost paid off. I know that legally she has every right to the truck since it’s in her name but is there anyway I can get my money back so she doesn’t just get a free car?

Asked on February 16, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Kentucky


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Hopefully you have somehting in writing from your uncle about the business arrangement that you have with him in that the fact situation that you have written about is somewhat complicated.

If not, your recourse would be against your uncle for repayment of the money you made for him concerning car payments you did for him. Another option is to work some deal with the uncle's ex girlfriend to sign off on title to the car since she may not have made any payments on it. Another option is to bring a lawsuit against the girlfriend for a buy out (partition action) of her ownership interest in the vehicle. Another option is for her to buy out your interest in the vehicle.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption