If a non-household member comits suicide in an apartment, who is responsible for the cleanup?

UPDATED: Dec 20, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 20, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a non-household member comits suicide in an apartment, who is responsible for the cleanup?

Which party is responsible to pay for proper bio clean up – the landlord or the tenant (their family).

Asked on December 20, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The landlord would not be responsible, unless the lease specifically makes the landlord responsible for what you call "bio clean up." The landlord's only responsibilities, apart  from those defined in the  lease, are to repair conditions *of the building* affecting habitability. The fact that someone committed suicide in the premises is not something the landlord is responsible for, any more than the landlord would be responsible for taking out or cleaning up any organic matter or debris of any kind left in the premises by a tenant or the tenant's guests.

The exception would be if it was one of the landlord's employees who committed suicide in the tenant's premises; then the landlord would likely have to pay for the clean up.

If so inclined, it is possible the tenant could seek reimbursement of the clean up costs from the decedent's estate.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption