Ifmy landlord does not include interest when they returnmy deposit, can they use wear and tear damage to a dishwasher as an excuse not to pay it?

UPDATED: Aug 6, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Ifmy landlord does not include interest when they returnmy deposit, can they use wear and tear damage to a dishwasher as an excuse not to pay it?

About 30 days after I moved out my landlord sent me a check for my security deposit and $30 towards my water bill that we agreed on since workers were using the water power washing the house. When we did the walk-through they brought up the hinge on the dishwasher door being loose. We said it was normal wear and tear. They said they would get back to us. A month later we got the check for the deposit and water bill. Nothing said they were holding any money. Now that I asked for the interest they said they will send a receipt for the dishwasher and see from there if they owe us any money.

Asked on August 6, 2011 Maryland


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Whether or not your landlord owes you accrued interest on your security deposit depends upon 1. whether your written lease agreement provides for its payment to you at the end of the lease and 2. does your state, county of residence or town/city of residence mandate that security deposits for a rental accrue interest.

If you are entitled to accrued interest upon your security deposit when you leave your former rental, you are entitled to it from the landlord. The landlord agreed that the problem with the dishwasher was the result of normal use. You are entitled to your accrued interest in full.

Write your landlord a letter (keeping a copy for future reference) reciting what was agreed upon as to the dishwasher requesting the accrued interest on your security deposit by a set date. If you do not receive it by then, small claims court is your option.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption