If a judge doesn’t order you to submit to adrug test, can a probation officer make you submit anyway?

UPDATED: Nov 28, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 28, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a judge doesn’t order you to submit to adrug test, can a probation officer make you submit anyway?

The probation officer told me that I had to submit to a random frug test and pay $30 for lab fees. When I explained to her that the judge didn’t order me to submit and I did not give her the fee. She would not let me leave the office until I had given her an urine sample. She did not ask what legal medication I was on she just wanted me to give her a sample and pay her the $30 on my next visit

Asked on November 28, 2011 under Criminal Law, Mississippi


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you are on probation for a crime that you either plead out to or were convicted, the terms and conditions of the order of probation control what is required of you, nothing more or less.

You need to carefully read the probation order as to you and what the court's sentence was as to you. If there was reference to you having to submit to random drug testing in any of the two documents that I have mentioned, then you are obligated to submit to the random drug test that your probation officer undertook as to you.

If you do not have a criminal defense attorney representing you, I suggest that you consult with one.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption