If a house goes into foreclosure, can the mortgage company put any type of lien against another property owned by the borrower?

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a house goes into foreclosure, can the mortgage company put any type of lien against another property owned by the borrower?

The mortgage for our house is in my husband and my grandmother’s name. All 3 of us are on the title. My grandmother’s home is free and clear. If our home goes into foreclosure, can the mortgage company try to go after her home in any way or attach a lien to it? We live in PA, but my husband and I both work in MD. My grandmother does not work and is on a fixed income. What could they do as far as trying to collect once the foreclosure has taken place?

Asked on August 26, 2011 Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Whether or not you lose your home in a foreclose that is in the name of your husband and grandmother where a deficiency is owed (home is sold at auction for less than the amount owed on the loan) depends upon whether:

1. the loan that could be foreclosed upon is the loan acquired when the property was initially purchased (purchase money),

2. if so, does Pennsylvania have anti-deficiency statutes concerning purchase money loans where the former owner cannot be obligated under a deficiency balance if the foreclosedci loan was purchase money, and

3. whether or not Pennsylvania has laws precluding a defiency claim against a property owner on a foreclosed home if the forelcosure happens by way of a judicial versus a non-judicial foreclosure.

Assuming a deficiency judgment could be allowed in your circumstances on a foreclosed home, the assets of the people on the loan could be levied upon to satisfy any deficency judgment.

I suggest that you consult with an experienced real estate attorney concerning your situation.

Good luck.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption