If a continued without a finding case is dismissed, does the defendant have to sign and/or is given paperwork?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a continued without a finding case is dismissed, does the defendant have to sign and/or is given paperwork?

My boyfriend is telling me that his continued without a finding case against him was dismissed. However, he’s telling me that he wasn’t given any paperwork to take home that proves that his case was dismissed on the day he said. Is that possible? New Link Destination
have your criminal case dismissed but not be given any paperwork after?

Asked on May 31, 2019 under Criminal Law, Arizona


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Yes, it is possible. Not all judges issue paperwork (typically in the form of Orders) putting the disposition of a case in writing. Sometimes, they only do it "orally" or "on the record"--that is, the say outloud what was done, where it is recorded (or transcribed by a court reporter, if the court is still using court reporters, not recording): but because it was a pronouncement by a judge in court, it is official. Call the court: they will have a record of the status/outcome and can confirm it to you (you might have to go into the court in person to find out--it depends on that court's procedures, but call first to see if you need to).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption