If a child loses a earrings they have in at our home and then steps on it are we at all responsible financially

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a child loses a earrings they have in at our home and then steps on it are we at all responsible financially

Had a birthday party one of the girls
had a earring fall out didn’t realize it
and stepped on it. Days later parents
ended up having to take the girl to dr
and she ended up having to have
surgery to have infection drained out

Asked on June 15, 2016 under Personal Injury, Indiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

A homeowner is not the insurer for his or her guests: you are not liable (responsible financially) for a guest's injuries unless they are due to your own fault, such as if you did not repair a broken stair or railing and that caused a fall. But the case you described does not involve any fault of yours, so you should not be liable; the fact that the injury occured at your home does not, without more (i.e. without fault on your part) make you liable.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption