If a car registered in my name was involved in an accident but I was not the driver, am I still liable?

UPDATED: Sep 13, 2016

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 13, 2016Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a car registered in my name was involved in an accident but I was not the driver, am I still liable?

I have not driven the car for some months now. I drive a different vehicle.

However, the old car was driven by someone other than myself and got in a minor


Asked on September 13, 2016 under Accident Law, California


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, you are liable for the accident because you are the registered owner of the vehicle.
Your liability would include the property damage (cost of repairs) to the other vehicle not at fault in the accident.
Your liability also includes the personal injury claims of the occupants of the other vehicle.  LIability on the personal injury claims includes liability for the medical bills, pain and suffering (an amount in addition to the medical bills), and wage loss.
If the lawsuit against you results in a judgment against you, you can recover the amount by suing the driver of your car for negligence.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption