If a 22 year old girl is in a relationship with an 18 year old girl, can the 22 year old go to jail?

UPDATED: Nov 2, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a 22 year old girl is in a relationship with an 18 year old girl, can the 22 year old go to jail?

The relationship began when the 18 year old was 16, and her parents tried to get the 22 year old, who was 20 at the time, thrown in jail. The case was turned down to even go to court. If the 18 year old’s parents tried hard enough, could they get the 22 year old thrown in jail even though both are over 18?

Asked on November 2, 2011 under Criminal Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Given the fact that under the circumstances that you are writing about, the two women (girls) are both adults (over the age of 18), the parents of one or the other have very little say if anything about their relationship presently. 

Additionally, if law enforcement years ago was not interested in pursuing a criminal action several years ago, it will be less inclined now due to the passage of time and the fact that the relationship now is between two adults. I see nothing warranting a criminal charge based upon what you have written.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption