If 2 siblings inherita house, can1 of them put the other out if they own more then the other?

UPDATED: Sep 10, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 10, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If 2 siblings inherita house, can1 of them put the other out if they own more then the other?

Inherited the house about 20 years ago.

Asked on September 10, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Louisiana


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you both inherited the home, then you each own as tenants in common. Even if one owns more of a percentage than the other, you still have the right to occupy and or own the home. To kick you out would be called an ouster and it is not permissible. Think about what you prefer to do with this home. If you wish to jointly live in the home, it may be a good idea to discuss who pays for what costs and put it in writing and signed by both siblings. If the intent is to rent it out, make sure you both are on the landlord tenant agreement and that checks are deposited into a joint account you both own together for this purpose. If the intent is to sell, you both must be on the closing documents and if one owns more than the other, then consider that one will pay more in closing fees/sale fees than the other.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption