I wrote a letter to my landlord ending my lease obligation because of misconduct on his part, if he does not contact me does that mean I am out ?

UPDATED: Jun 9, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 9, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I wrote a letter to my landlord ending my lease obligation because of misconduct on his part, if he does not contact me does that mean I am out ?

My landlord failed to meet all of the landlord duties so I moved all my stuff out and wrote a letter to him, he has not contacted me about it. My ex-roommate is now trying to sue me for the rent. Is this possible or am I out of the lease?

Asked on June 9, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Colorado


J.V., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I am a bit confused because it sounds as if you sent a letter to get out of the lease with your landlord but the lease was being paid jointly by a roommate who is still renting in that location. These are two separate issues. Your getting out of the lease with the landlord is inapplicable because the landlord still has a lease only now you expect your ex roommate to pay the entire thing. If you wanted to move out and your roommate was remaining there the agreement to leave had to be with the roommate because now they are responsible for rent and you left them

If you want to contact a local attorney you can explain very clearly the situation, explain the issues, what you did with the landlord and roommate and see if you have any worry about paying rent to the roommate. At this point it sounds as if your roommate may have a valid case which is why I suggest investigating further with an attorney

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption