Can I be made to attend a class regardinga bad check that I wrote?

UPDATED: Aug 4, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I be made to attend a class regardinga bad check that I wrote?

3 years ago Ii wrote a check that bounced; it was at a grocery store for $38 and I was never told. Now 3 years later they want the money back, which is fine but they also want me to attend a class and pay for the class. This has never happened before or since and I live 5 minutes from the store. If they would have notified me I would have driven there and paid the money. What should I do? I am not this person and don’t want any trouble or a record.

Asked on August 4, 2011 Michigan


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I presume that the person who wants payment for the $38.00 check that failed to clear due to insuffient funds and wants you to attend some class over the check that did not clear is with the store that received the bad check.

If so, the store has no ability to make you attend some class that you do not care to attend. The right thing for you to do is make good on the bad check with accrued interest and any fee that the store was charged due to the check being unable to clear.

If you are willing to do this, you should write a letter to go with a check and send it to the store with a notation on the check's memo section "paid in full" and reference to "paid in full" in the letter. Keep a copy of the letter and the check sent for future reference. Ignore all future requests for attending the class. Keep records of the second check.

Good luck.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption