What is my recourseregarding a moving company’s overcharges?

UPDATED: Aug 11, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 11, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is my recourseregarding a moving company’s overcharges?

We recently moved from OH to LA. The moving company quoted $2800. The estimate was too low and we have now paid $4200. They also did not send a big enough truck. We still have a garage full of stuff in OH and they want another $1000 to move it the rest of the way. I would like to pursue action against a moving company for breach of contract.

Asked on August 11, 2011 Louisiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The issue is, what exactly *was* the agreement? If the quote was firm, they have to honor it. If it was a "good faith" quote, then it *may* be enforceable, to the extent that nothing changed between when they made the quote and when you actually had the move--for example, you did not add additional items or an extra garage or shed or storage room full of belongings. Also, you have to consider what the agreement or proposal or quote said--if it explicitly stated that it was not binding, it's clearly more difficult to enforce, unless you can actually show fraud (basically deliberate lies made to you to get you to give them your business). In short, you may have a breach of contract claim, but whether it will actually prove out depends on the circumstances and exactly what was agreed to.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption