If my marriage lasted less than a year can Imarry anotherUS citizen?

UPDATED: Nov 10, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 10, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my marriage lasted less than a year can Imarry anotherUS citizen?

I came to this country legally and married a US citizen. I had work papers. The marriage failed before a year and we got divorced. She then called immigration and told them we were no longer married and stopped the paperwork. Now I am here illegally. I would like to know if I can legally marry again? Also, is it is possible for me to obtain working papers again?

Asked on November 10, 2011 under Immigration Law, Pennsylvania


SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you can get married again and if you marry a US citizen, your US citizen spouse can petition for you and you can start the process all over again.  However, please keep in mind that if you were reported to the USCIS before as possibly being married for immigration purposes only, you may have a higher hurdle to overcome in proving that your new marriage is bona fide.  If it is then you should just be prepared to submit much stronger and more evidence to show that the new marriage is bona fide.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption