I would like to know ifI can sue my former employer for not paying me all the wages they owe me and for not paying me on time?

UPDATED: Oct 27, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 27, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I would like to know ifI can sue my former employer for not paying me all the wages they owe me and for not paying me on time?

Asked on October 27, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you mean that have not paid you the amount of money you have earned for the work you have done--then yes, you may sue them. So if they have not paid you for all hours worked (including overtime), or not paid you at the right rate, etc., you may have a lawsuit. Note that you must make sure that they actually  were obligated to pay you all the money you thought: for example, while an employer cannot retroactively reduce pay (if you work, you must be paid at the rate or salary then in force), if the employer gave you notice that you were being paid at a lower rate than you had been or thought you should be, that lower rate is enforceable as long as you did not have an employment contract protecting your wages (i.e. they can reduce your pay at any time going forward, without a contract).

If you think that you were in fact paid incorrectly, you should consult with an employment law attorney to discuss the situation and evaluate the strength of  your case, what it might be worth, the cost to pursue it--and then to take acdtion, if appropriate and warranted. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption