Am I responsible for my ex’s foreclosure when I was never on the deed/title/loan?

UPDATED: Aug 22, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 22, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I responsible for my ex’s foreclosure when I was never on the deed/title/loan?

Divorced 6 years, never on title/deed/loan and he is foreclosing. Mortgage company taking him to court but naming him first, then IRS and then myself as defendants. I have no money for an attorney. Divorce decree says he is responsible for his property/indebtedness. I have no interest in it. I cannot afford an attorney or travel time. I had an OP on him for 2 years (now expired), I don’t wish to have contact with him. Would I be able to call his mortgage company or send a letter to the judge with divorce decree and be taken off of this?

Asked on August 22, 2012 under Family Law, Illinois


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I can surely understand your not wnting to apear with him there but I highly doubt he will appear at all and you need to do something more here than write a letter or call the mortgage company, although that may be a good start.  If it is as you say that you were never on the documents you mention then why are you being sued?  Could be just to protect any right you may have had to claim the proeprty but what worries me here is that naming you will ruin your credit.  You would need to appear in the action and make a motion to dismiss you as being an improper party.  Ther are so many issues here like service, etc. and all can not be explained other than superficially.  Please, if you can seek legal help.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption