I would like to know how to transfer property?

UPDATED: Jun 27, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I would like to know how to transfer property?

My grandmother quick deeded her property to my uncle who died 3 year ago. Rhis year, shepassed away and left a Will which said the property is to go to me. How do I obtain this property? What does my uncle’s wife and children need to do to give it to me?

Asked on June 27, 2012 under Estate Planning, California


Cameron Norris, Esq. / Law Office of Gary W. Norris

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You can only devise property by will if you own it at your death.  So if you give things away, sell them, etc. before you die, any will purporting to devise property may not be effective.  In this case, your grandmother appears to have quick claimed the property to your uncle.  You can't convey real property to a dead person, so if he was dead at the time of the transfer it would have been invalid (it is unclear from the facts here).  If he was alive at the time fo the quitclaim, the property became a part of your uncle's estate and his heirs would take the property. 

Your uncle's wife and children might be nice and quitclaim it back to you--especially if you don't make it clear to them that they own it, but you probably have no legal right to the property.

Best of luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption