Can I legally terminate my lease without normal penalties and fines after filing a PPO for stalking?

UPDATED: Feb 29, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 29, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I legally terminate my lease without normal penalties and fines after filing a PPO for stalking?

I have a PPO (stalking) and have filed a police report. I would like to vacate within the next month and not pay rent beyond that. The normal lease termination fee is $250 and paying monthly rent until a new tenant signs their own lease.

Asked on February 29, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Michigan


Kevin Bessant / Law Office of Kevin Bessant & Associates

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

A PPO does not in itself terminate a lease agreement. Typically, the major issue that will terminate a lease agreement is whether or not the premises have become uninhabitable due to the actions of the landlord or leasing agency. I am not certain who your PPO is against, but if it is iagainst a neighbor, I would review the terms of your lease agreement because this may or may not be sufficient grounds for a termination without penalty. If you have further questions about this please do not hesitate to contact me. Thanks.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption