What are my rights if I worked for the state and was recently terminated?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights if I worked for the state and was recently terminated?

As a uncovered worker I had no rights to fight my termination and was not given an explination of why I was terminated. I had recently complained to HR about working in a hostile enviroment. Is there anything I can do to see why I was terminated or do anything to fight this?

Asked on January 14, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Arizona


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

If you did not have a contract and were not covered by civil service rules, you were an employee at will and could be terminated at any time, for any reason whatsoever, without notice or explanation--as a general matter.
The exception is, you cannot be fired due to certain protected characteristics, such as age over 40, sex, race, religion, or disabiity. You write that you complained to HR to about "a hostile environment." If the environment was hostile to you because of one of these characteristics, you may have suffered illegal employment discrimination and/or illegal retaliation (employers can't fire people for complaining about harassment based on one of these characteristics) and you may have a legal claim. If you think this is the case, try speaking with an employment law attorney about the situation in detail, or else contacting the federal EEOC.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption