If I worked for my former employer as a marketer and now he is accusing me of taking sales contacts, what should I do?

UPDATED: Apr 10, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I worked for my former employer as a marketer and now he is accusing me of taking sales contacts, what should I do?

He has even contacted the police.

Asked on April 10, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Contact a lawyer--any time someone has contacted the police about you, and/or may be looking to sue you (and if they are willing to contact the police, there's a good chance they're contemplating litigation)--you should retain an attorney.

That said, you cannot be convicted of a crime unless it can be shown that  you committed a criminal act--e.g. embezzled money, stole intellectual property or company assets, etc.--beyond a reasoanble doubt. You cannot even be effectively sued in a civil court unless it can be shown you misapprorpriated proprietary company information or company property, or violated some agreement (like a  noncompetition agreement), by a preponderance of  the evidence (that is, that it is more likely than not that you did these things). Accusations are easy to make, but  unless you did something wrong and the company can show it, you should not face legal consequences.

Moreover, it is illegal to misuse the legal process, such as by filing a baseless complaint; to defame someone, such as by publically making false factual accusations against them; or to try to interfere with another's prospective economic advantage or contracts (e.g. with your current business or employment) through improper means. Therefore, you may have legal claims against your former employer.

An attorney can help you evaluate if you do face any liabilty risk (criminal or civil) and, if so, how to best defend against it; and can also advise you as to any affirmative claims you may be able to raise and what compensation you may be able to seek. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption