What an I do if I work in an environment where the disciplinary process is different depending on who you are?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What an I do if I work in an environment where the disciplinary process is different depending on who you are?

I’m a female employee and have recently been accused of doing something thing that did not harm the company but that, in hindsight, I would do differently. There is a male manager who has made worse decisions along the same lines as mine except that he covered up for a team member who should have been fired but instead was sent on an all expense paid trip and, to top it off, was best man at his wedding. This was reported. Yet, he was not suspended, spoken to in a public forum or even penalized. I believe because I am a strong female, who is one of the top performing females, that I am being treated differently. I am concerned about the difference in treatment.

Asked on August 28, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Colorado


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

In general, employers can set the terms and conditions of the workplace much as they sees fit. Additionally, not all employees need be treated the same or even fairly.
Exceptions to the above would be if there exists a union agreement or employment contract to the contrary. Also, company policy itself may not allow for this. And finally, if differing treatment is based on some form of retailaition or actionable discrimination, then it would be illegal. Specifically, if an employee is in a "protected class" by virtue of their race, religion, sexual orientation, age, disability or gender, then an actionable discrimination claim can be made.
At this point, you can contact your state's department of labor and inquire about filing a formal complaint against your employer. You can also consult with a local employment law attorney after hearing the details of your case they can best direct you on your rights/remedies.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption