Under what circumstances an am employee’s pay be docked?

UPDATED: Jun 24, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 24, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Under what circumstances an am employee’s pay be docked?

I work from 2 pm to 10 pm without a break My empoloyer said since its an office job with plenty down time we do not need breaks. I called out 7 am for the next couple days because a family emergancy caused me to have to fly out of state. I came back after missing 4 days and was made to sign a write-up and was told that I would be docked 3 days pay if I’m late or miss another day. Is that possible?

Asked on June 24, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

No, your employer may not dock you excess pay for missing work--they don't need to pay you for the day(s) you actually miss, but they can't dock you 3 days for 1. Employees must be paid for all time that they do in fact work.

They could terminate you, however, if  they wish for missing days of work, since unless you have an employment contract, you are an employee at will, and employees at will may be terminated at any time, for any reason whatsoever.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption