If an employee is provided housing as part of their job, how long do they have before theymust leave?

UPDATED: Jun 7, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 7, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If an employee is provided housing as part of their job, how long do they have before theymust leave?

My boss says the company has a policy that if I quit or am terminated I have 3 days to vacate. However I was told by a police officer that in NE I must receive 30 days to vacate. Which is true?

Asked on June 7, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Nebraska


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If your occupancy was contingent on your employment, once your employment ended your rights to tenancy were lost. In other words, if you received housing as part of your job, then your tenancy ends when your job does. You have to vacate within the time provided, unless there is some employment agreement guaranteeing you notice.  The fact is that employee housing is a benefit which can be stopped at any time for any reason at an employer's discretion. The company does not need to go through standard landlord-tenant eviction procedures since this is a company benefit and you are not a tenant under the law. It can call a sheriff/marshal and have you and your belongings immediately removed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption