If I work for a hotel and my cash drawer came up $75 short, what is the law regarding my being made to pay the money back?

UPDATED: Jun 24, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I work for a hotel and my cash drawer came up $75 short, what is the law regarding my being made to pay the money back?

I checked-in a guest but forgot to take the cash,yet posted it to the account as if I did. We’ve reviewed the tapes and confirmed that was indeed the case, and I didn’t pocket the money.

Asked on June 24, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

1) You cost your employer money due to your negligence or carelessness: failing to take the cash. You therefore are liable or responsible for it.

2) The employer may not take the money from your paycheck without your consent or agreement, but:

a) Could fire you for costing them money and refusing to repay it;

b) Has the right to sue you for the money, such as in small claims court, but is not likely to do so given how relatively little is at stake.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption