What to do about tickets that I got for no insurance and a suspended registration, if I work for a global company that leases all it’s vehicles from a third party?

UPDATED: Nov 19, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 19, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about tickets that I got for no insurance and a suspended registration, if I work for a global company that leases all it’s vehicles from a third party?

The vehicle is registered on one state and they are in the process of registering it in my state. I had to go back to go back to the state where it is currently registered and I was pulled over for driving with no insuranc. I got tickets for driving without insurance and having a suspended registration. The company never notified me of any issues. I have insurance cards and a registration that are not expired. Now I am left to defend myself in court and pay the tickets, not to mention possible points on my license. Who is responsible to make sure that everything is current? I have no clue how this stuff works or if I should go after them for compensation.

Asked on November 19, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Maryland


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Even when an employee drives for work, he is responsible for his own license. He would not be responsible for the registration or the insurance if it is not his vehicle--that is, if it's the company's car--since the vehicle owner is responsible for that. You may have a defense to the points and fines, on the grounds you were not the responsible party, or at least be able to seek compensation from your employer for your expenses. You should consult with an attorney about how best to do this--it may be too complicated for someone without experience (like you) to handle this. Look for an attorney who has a municipal court practice; they are the ones who handle tickets of various kinds.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption