I work for a Corp. out of FL.. I work in CA. My boss didn’t get to approve my timecard and now I will be short 24 hrs. They want me to wait 3 wks.

UPDATED: May 26, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 26, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I work for a Corp. out of FL.. I work in CA. My boss didn’t get to approve my timecard and now I will be short 24 hrs. They want me to wait 3 wks.

I had 3 days of paid time off coming on this paycheck, but on the day my Administrator was to approve my timeard, Corporate approved it before he would put in my time off. Now they want me to wait 3 weeks to add that time to my next paycheck. I have bills to pay. I can’t wait. Is it legal to do this to an employee?

Asked on May 26, 2009 under Employment Labor Law, California


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I don't think so.  This sounds very much like it is a violation of your rights under the wage and hour laws.  You should talk to a labor and employment lawyer in your area, to review all the facts (and I'm sure there's more to this) based on California law, for reliable advice.  One place to find an attorney is our website, http://attorneypages.com

My understanding of the law is that overtime or paid time off that you're due has to be paid no later than the paycheck for the pay period after the one in which it's earned or accrued.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption