I work for a builder, by the hour, and he will not give me my last check. What can I do to get it?

UPDATED: May 19, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 19, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I work for a builder, by the hour, and he will not give me my last check. What can I do to get it?

I have to keep track of my own hours, there is no time clock, and no other way to prove that i worked. He is using this fact to keep from paying me. I only have 14 hours that he owes me thats $240, not sure it’s a amount worth a lawsuit. It’s been 30 days since I have turned in my hours to him.

Asked on May 19, 2009 under Employment Labor Law, Illinois


J.V., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

He definitely owes you the money and although it may not be worth pursing legally due to costs i would advise you call a local collection attorney. They may be able to advise you as to the costs of such an action.

Because I am not admitted in IL I cannot quote costs but you may also be able to bring an action in small claims court for a small fee if you wanted to pursue it. Again the collection attorney may also be able to handle it for you for a percentage of that collected.

There are options available and your first stop should be to call a local collection attorney and ask them for advice

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption