If I work at a car dealership and my boss told me that if I buy a car somewhere else I’ll be fired, is there any legal action I can take?.

UPDATED: May 6, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 6, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I work at a car dealership and my boss told me that if I buy a car somewhere else I’ll be fired, is there any legal action I can take?.

The company I work for is giving me worst deal than a dealership 2 hours away. I don’t want to lose my job but I want to pay way more for a car than I have too. I’m talking close to 8k difference on the same car.

Asked on May 6, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, unless you have a written employment contract guarantying or protecting your employment--and the vast majority of us do not have such contracts--you are an employee at will. As an employee at will, your employer may set any terms and conditions it likes for work, and may fire you at any time, for any reason that is not illegal discrimination (e.g. discrimination against you because of your race, sex, religion, disability, or age over 40). That means that it is legal for your employer to fire you if you buy a car anywhere else, even if that means spending more money.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption