If I work as a cook and got fired because I cut my finger at the joint part and couldn’t work the next day, do I have a case?

UPDATED: Jun 29, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 29, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I work as a cook and got fired because I cut my finger at the joint part and couldn’t work the next day, do I have a case?

I chop fresh ingredients daily and it is my pointing finger. I can’t bend it to be able to chop. I asked to fill out a incident report; they told me to go home and called me couple of days later saying that I was unreliable so they just let me go.

Asked on June 29, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Arizona


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Potentially you may have a case for wrongful termination if you can prove that you suffered a work related injury (cut index finger) and you were terminated by your employer as a result  in an attempt to preclude a worker's compensation claim.

Given what you have written, it is best that you consult with an attorney that practices in the area of employment law with respect to a possible wrongful termination case as well as a worker's compensation claim.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption