What to do if I work a third shift job and I am forced to wait for a manager to let me out after I have clocked out?

UPDATED: Jul 21, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 21, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I work a third shift job and I am forced to wait for a manager to let me out after I have clocked out?

We are supposed to sign in before we clock in. This is a sheet that we fill out stating what we are wearing and what we brought into the store. After work we required to clock out and wait for a manager to sign us out to make sure we didn’t steal. They also have to lock the door behind us. Sometimes we have to wait 10 to 20 minutes for someone to come and sign us out. Is it legal for them to make us wait or can we legally just leave after we clock out? This is a retail store. We usually clock out at 6 am.

Asked on July 21, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Michigan


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you have ot wait between ten (10) and twenty (20) minutes each shift to be let out of where you work after you have clocked out, you should be entitled under the laws of all states in this country to be compensated for this time be it at the normal hourly rate or the over time rate if applicable.

I would bring this issue up with your supervisor or your company's human resources department. If you do not get the response you desire, then you should consult with a labor attorney and/or make a complaint with your nearest department of labor about the matter you are writing about.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption