What are my rights regarding a shift change?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights regarding a shift change?

I work a 10/6 pm shift as a nurse. However, recently my employer changed my schedule from a 4 on/2 off rotation to 3 on/1 off rotation. This leaves me with no real time for appointments, family, rest., etc. I submitted in writing to my supervisors that this schedule was unacceptable to me.

Asked on October 1, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

 Unfortunately, it doesn't matter if it is "unacceptable" to you--your employer has no legal obligation to take employee needs, preferences, etc. into account. While you are free to ask for your preferred shift, they do not have to accommodate you, and can instead assign you to any shift they choose. If you do not or will not work the assigned shift, you may be terminated. This is part of what "employment at will" means.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption