Can my employer arrange the time that I worked so as not to pay overtime?

UPDATED: Nov 11, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 11, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my employer arrange the time that I worked so as not to pay overtime?

I worked 40 hours in a week but one of those days I had to work 10 hours. Can my employer then ask me to leave early another day of the week to avoid OT?

Asked on November 11, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Employers can set the hours, shifts, etc. of employment--both generally, and for  each day. Unless you have a contract guarantying you certain hours or shifts, your boss can certainly send you home early from work to avoid paying you overtime; this is perfectly legal and acceptable. Overtime law (e.g. the Fair Labor Standards Act, or FLSA) says that *if* you work more than 40 hours in a week, you must be paid ovetime--but it does not guaranty you the right to work more than 40 hours.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption