I won the case but do I pay for their deposition?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I won the case but do I pay for their deposition?

I sued my neighbors when their dog got loose and attacked my dog and myself in my
yard. I won the case and was awarded 7500. When I seen the payout I noticed
1100 was taken out for the deposition from when my neighbors gave their
testimony. It may have been to the person who takes down the deposition or to the
location, but winning my case, shouldn’t that have been paid by their attorney
who worked for their insurance company or the insurance company themselves?

Asked on February 11, 2019 under Personal Injury, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If you deposed the neighbors--that is, you wanted to take their deposition--you have to pay for the cost of the deposition--the court reporter's time, the transcripts, etc. If the other side was the one that called for the deposition, then they pay. Whoever arranges the deposition pays, regardless of who wins.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption