I what shouldI do regarding an outstanding hospital bill?

UPDATED: Nov 18, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 18, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I what shouldI do regarding an outstanding hospital bill?

I have legal action being taken against me for an emergency room visit from last year. However, the hospital submitted the claim to the VA. I have never received a billing from the hospital. All Ihave ever received is a statement from the VA (over a year ago) stating what had been paid on my behalf to the hospital. Do I contact the lawyer taking me to court? Do I call the hospital and ask for a bill? Not sure how to handle this. I have tried to call the VA and they just keep passing me from person to person.

Asked on November 18, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Nevada


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The best way to handle the situation where you have been sued by a health care provide for medical treatment received that the Veteran's Administration has partially paid is to contact the hospital directly about the bill in an attempt to avoid having to go to court.

Possibly there is an error by the hospital or Veteran's Administration or both. You need to answer the complaint against you asserting various affirmative defenses including, but not limited to the possibility that the Veteran's Administration having paid the bill.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption