What is my dentist’s liability regarding a crown and too which broke due to my their negligence?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is my dentist’s liability regarding a crown and too which broke due to my their negligence?

I went to the dentist 5 months ago; they said that I needed a crown. I had the crown done but about a month later the tooth and crown broke because the tooth was shaved too small. Now, I need to have surgery to correct this tooth, which is estimated $5,100. Is it possible to get the dental office to pay this?

Asked on November 10, 2015 under Malpractice Law, New Hampshire


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

If, as you say, the crown broke because the dentist did something wrong--i.e. shaved the tooth too small--then that may well be malpractice and the dentist could be liable for all the costs this malpractice caused (like the $5,100 in oral surgery) and possibly for some amount of pain and suffering, lost wages (if you missed work), etc. If they won't pay voluntarily, however, you'd have to sue; and malpractice suits can be expensive and complicated; you should speak with a medical malpractice attorney in detail to evaluate if this is an economically and practically viable claim.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption