What can I do if I wasn’t paid for my work for 8 months?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if I wasn’t paid for my work for 8 months?

I have permanent job that is OK. My second job is like contractor. I do handyman services, through an app. I’ve been working for them about year and half. They pay me all the time and on time. Recently, when was checking my bank account and I didn’t find funds for my done jobs for about the past 8 months now. The missing amount isnt huge, around $3000. I got in touch with support, and they promised get back to me within 2 days with a solution from accounting I have chat saved but they didn’t and still no money on my bank account. Also, I had a call with the WA State Dept. of Labor and Industries, so they require to file a claim for further investigation. Is my case is good/eligible for going with a law firm to receive my funds plus nice compensation or I should go just only with Dept. of Labor and Industries? If I found after couple days that they made a payment is this means that there is no case for filling a claim.

Asked on August 28, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, Washington


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Generally, you are not entitled to get extra compensation ("plus nice compensation") if your employer fails to pay you, especially if your job is not one with a regular salary or wage, but rather one where you are paid when you do provide services through an app. This is not a situation where there is huge windfall and so is not likely one that would be worth retaining a lawyer for. Work with the Dept. of Labor and Industries or, if they won't help you or are being too slow, file a lawsuit for the $3,0000 as your own attorney or "pro se."

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption