If I was wrongly accused of stealing money from a found wallet, what do I do?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was wrongly accused of stealing money from a found wallet, what do I do?

I found an empty wallet at a store. They said that I stole money out it but I didn’t. The store released security footage to the

Asked on October 6, 2018 under Criminal Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

In theory, you can sue anyone who claims you stole when you did not for defamation: for making an untrue negative factual assertion (that you stole) about you. In practice, if the footage makes it appear, even if incorrectly, that you did steal, you would be very unlikely to win any lawsuit: as the person suing, the "burden of proof," or obligation to prove your case by a "preponderance of the evidence," or that it is more likely than not, is on you, and in the face of footage seeming to show theft, you are unlikely to do that.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption