What are my rights if I was working in a bank for only about a month and a half when we got robbed at gunpoint and I was tied up on the floor?

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights if I was working in a bank for only about a month and a half when we got robbed at gunpoint and I was tied up on the floor?

I decided not to return to the job because I was terrified. I applied for unemployment but I was denied. I just received a letter from the FBI saying I could apply for victims compensation. I plan on returning to work in a few months when I start to feel more like myself, but I was wondering if there is anything that can financially help me until then. I’m not sure if I am eligible for victims compensation since I quit the job.

Asked on April 22, 2014 under Personal Injury, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You probably do not have any rights to support or compensation, other than possibly victims compensation if you qualify; as long as you fill out any application honestly, there is no harm in trying.

The problem is:

1) The bank is not liable or responsible for the criminal acts of third parties, so the bank is not liable for the criminal's actions.

2) Employment is employment at will: there is no inherent right to severance of any sort unless you had a contract guarantying you some.

3) Even if you leave work voluntarily for good reasons, you still leave work voluntarily; under the circumstances, you would not be entitled.

4) You do not appear to have a disability which would qualify you for any disability insurance or payments.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption