What should I do if I was working for a retailer and today they fired me for stealing?

UPDATED: Mar 20, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What should I do if I was working for a retailer and today they fired me for stealing?

They said after I made my statement that they only had 3 things (to the officer) but now have much more. When they had initially asked me if I had taken anything, they told me it was an incredibly long list and that I should tell them everything that I could remember, egging me on the whole way. What they actually had started 2 months ago. I’ve never been in trouble before and I was incredibly scared; I was physically shaking uncontrollably and couldn’t stop me legs from twitching. I told them everything, adding up to about $850 since I started working there, a guess they asked me to write on my statement for them. I am scared. How much trouble am I in?

Asked on March 20, 2014 under Criminal Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

1) If this is reported to the police, you could be arrested and charged with theft. Given the amount, you could potentially face months in jail. However, if this is your first offense, you offer to repay the loss, you avoid other criminal acts *if* you get probation, and you are sufficiently contrite, you may be able to avoid prison. Hire a local criminal defense attorney to represent you; that will maximize your chance of a favorable outcome.

2) They could sue you for the value of what you took, plus potentially court and attorneys fees.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption